Your Airstream Story

We hope you're enjoying the stories we post on our home page every couple of weeks. If you missed one, or want to read it again or share, you'll find them right here in our library.

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

10 Signs You Might Be a Glamper

AirstreamIf you’re an Airstream owner, or just the type of person who likes to read an Airstream blog, there’s a decent chance that you are a glamper. There’s an even greater chance that you don’t know what “glamping” even is, so it might be good to start there.

Glamping is, in short, luxury camping. The word is a combination of “glamour” and “camping,” showing that even in terms of naming, glampers aren’t about to leave the house without some style. This doesn’t mean a glamper isn’t willing to get down in the dirt when hiking through a cave or drenched while kayaking down a river. Glamping has all of the benefits of traditional camping – fresh air, enjoying the outdoors, communing with nature – but adds in some of the benefits of staying in a nice hotel (indoors). So are you a glamper? Here are some clues that might help you decide.

1. When you get up in the morning, you make crepes for breakfast instead of eating Pop-Tarts
  2. You brew an espresso in the morning versus drinking instant coffee
  3. To stay cool, you turn on your air conditioner instead of using a hand held fan
  4. All of your food is kept in a freezer or fridge rather than a cooler
  5. When in need of a light, your flip a switch instead of using the campfire light or a lantern
  6. You sleep in a feather bed with a special supportive pillow instead of a sleeping bag on a root or some rocks
  7. There is a screen door to keep out bugs rather than coating yourself in bug repellant at night
  8. You wake up smelling like soap and fresh brewed coffee rather than a campfire and bug spray
  9. Clothes are crisp and dry from being stored in a closet instead of damp and creased from last nights dew
  10. You watch a movie at night versus telling ghost stories

gl4Although Glampers love their personal luxuries, the luxuries don’t take away from the amazing outdoor adventure. Glampers still love exploring the wild and serene places of the world. It is still an adventure no matter what your style of living may be during those trips. With all the amenities available in an Airstream camper, you can go glamping wherever you like – experiencing the splendor of the great outdoors, without leaving behind the luxury of home.

Comments

I may not fit all the requirements on the list, but I am most definitely a glamper! I hike, bike, kayak, and fish all day, but at night I sleep in total comfort in my vintage airstream, restored to reflect my style and taste. I don't have air conditioning, but I also don't use a cooler anymore!
Posted @ Monday, May 13, 2013 10:04 AM by Kiki Dunigan
In actuality, I'm a Gramper. Gramper being an amalgam of grandpa and camper. My airstream allows the extension of the ability to enjoy the wonder of the great outdoors beyond the leaking tent, smoking campfire, flying insects, curious skunks, raccoons and bears and hard and low sleeping surface (mother earth).
Posted @ Monday, May 13, 2013 10:22 AM by William Lafferty
We've been glamping in our Airstream for 2 years racking up 50,000 miles in 3 different countries. And we're not stopping anytime soon. You can read about our adventures at Gingergoesglamping.com
Posted @ Monday, May 13, 2013 2:49 PM by Carol Cohen
Our Airstream has opened up an entirely new outdoor experience for us. We love enjoying this world of ours from the comfort and, okay, luxury of our serene little "home"!
Posted @ Monday, May 13, 2013 4:18 PM by Stephanie
I happily admit to being a glamper. I love sitting around a camp fire with other Airstreamers. But at the end of the evening, I love going into the Airstream to a hot shower and my own bed. On cold mornings on the road, I love a cup of coffee in front of the fake fireplace. All the comforts of home on the road.
Posted @ Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:23 PM by Barbara Flournoy
This is all new to me but I am definitely a glamper! We just purchased a 75th anniversary 23' Safari - can't wait to go glamping with my best friend/wife!
Posted @ Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:25 PM by Rene Brignac
Crepes for breakfast? Most definitely :) !!
Posted @ Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:33 PM by Monica Bennett
Well, we do not fit all of the list, so we are either gramers (grandparents from the 50s-60s) or hampers (hippie type campers). Love the outdoors, but love sleeping on our comfy bed in our vintage airstream. We have outfitted it with vintage item and flamingo lights and accessories that reflect our ecclectic style. Love our airstream.
Posted @ Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:19 AM by Dee
I am ALSO a glamper. Wherever I go in my airstream "classic 345 motorhome", when I pull into any site, I automatically feel special. #1 It's an airstream #2 forever style #3 it is the picture that speaks 10,000 words, before you even start to set up. #4 it speaks fun, adventure and friendly.
Eray Honeycutt #1834
Posted @ Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:30 AM by Eray Honeycutt
My husband and I are definitely glampers. This is our 42nd year of traveling the United States, Canada, and even Alaska and we own our third Airstream. And I have even towed the trailer across two or three states by myself. Glamping is definitely the way to go!
Posted @ Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:33 AM by Joan Viney
Seven Symbols of Real Glampering

Real China or Corelle plates.
Real glass beer and wineglasses.
'Good clothes' hanging up.
A tv or computer on board maybe both.
A library of nature books and poetry on board.
A cooktop, microwave, charcoal grill and real oven to chose from.
An attitude that shows how blessed you feel to have full-timed in a 34ft Excella for 10+ years.

Posted @ Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:16 PM by Lori Peirce
Glamping is for me! I love the adventure and peace of the outdoors almost as much as I love the creature comforts that our 30' Classic provides. Airstream trailers speak to all things retro in my soul!
Posted @ Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:44 AM by Barbara Tomlin
We have been Airstreaming for @ 20 years in our 1965 Caravel. It just doesn't get much better than this. There are still a few things I want to do to the Caravel but must finish the 1964 Tradewind first. The Tradewind will be for sale as in a few weeks. When I was in Junior High a friend's Dad bought an Airstream and I was so jeolous and always wanted one of my own. Well finally I have my dream tent. We take several trips each year.
Cooking inside beats a campfire anyday.
DB
Posted @ Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:31 PM by Don Bishop
We don't have a feather bed, however we do sleep under a down comforter. We don't make creeps, but I do make killer green chili breakfast burrito. Otherwise we qualify on all counts.
Posted @ Saturday, June 01, 2013 9:24 PM by Jim Foster
I love camping in my classic 25ft. Airstream. I place plastic pink flamingos in front of the trailer. Then I sit in my lawn chair, with my pink long johns (with flap), sipping wine in my flamingo stemmed wine glasses. I usually hang a pink flamingo spinner windsock as a final touch. People wave as they drive by and smile.
I have recently purchased the book "Glamping with Mary Jane" by MaryJane Butters. ISBN-13: 9781423630814 at Barnes and Nobles bookstore. Her overview of the book states that "A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do. Join the ranks of happy glampers-women who add glamour to camping while traipsing "outside" the norm." She has an Airstream in her pictures along with some vintage trailers. This is an awesome book to put in your trailer and it has some great recipes and has many tips on "Glamping."
Posted @ Tuesday, June 04, 2013 7:28 AM by Donna Nowak
Yep... Absolutely glampers...
<a>www.daveanddimples.com<a>
13 months on the road... And all of the above
Posted @ Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:22 AM by Karen Kamishin
I am so excited to join this community! My days of ordinary camping are long gone, so when we got an opportunity to buy an Airstream and camp first class I jumped at it! I love your definitions of glamping--that is me! I cannot wait to get our 1969 Overlander fixed up so we can "glamp." And thanks to all for your wonderful tips!
Posted @ Monday, June 24, 2013 2:40 PM by Lezlie